The Faughan Valley is awash with Heritage sites, dating from the prehistoric period to recent times.
There are a number of standing stones in the Faughan Valley area, including Cregg Standing stone outside Claudy.
The Ballygroll prehistoric complex is located on Slievgore Hill, ranging in date from 4000 to 1000BC. They include a court tomb, two wedge tombs, a round cairn, a barrow and two stone circles set within the remains of the pre-bog field system.
There is a variety of Early Christian heritage sites in the area including Straidarran Church which is located about two miles from Claudy. Cumber Old Church was also an important ecclesiastical centre in the early Christian period. In the late medieval period Cumber was the parish church for most of the Faughan valley. The site has no obvious medieval remains today. The ruins of an eighteenth century Protestant church stand on a mound which may represent the site of its medieval predecessor.
Brackfield Bawn, a fortified bawn was built in the early 17th century by Sir Edward Doddington in the early 17th century on lands granted to the Skinners’ Company of London as part of the Plantation of Ulster. On the south side of the bawn, inside an enclosure protected by a high wall, are the remains of a simple two storey house, windowless on the southside. Both the house and bawn were abandoned by around 1700.
There are also a number of listed buildings in the area such as Learmount Castle, the present house dates to 1830. Ashbrook House dates from 1686 and is currently occupied by the Beresford-Ash family. Ashbrook hosts many events over the year, both cultural and horticultural. From a Guided Tour to Open Air Theatre, from a ramble through the old US Marine Base Camp to garden/cooking workshops you are sure to find something of interest. The Beech Hill Country House Hotel is located on the site of the 17th century Skipton Hall. All of these beautiful listed houses are well worth a visit, each have beautiful mature woodlands, paths and gardens to relax in.